Areas of Expertise:
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Procedure
- Criminal Practice
- Trial Practice
- Pretrial Practice
Patricia W. Bennett
Professor of Law
Director of Litigation and Dispute Resolution Center
- J.D., Mississippi College School of Law
- B.A., Tougaloo College
- Professor of Law, 1989-present.
- Mediator, Certified with The Mississippi Bar, 1999-present.
- Special Assistant District Attorney, Hinds and Yazoo Counties, Mississippi, 1993-1998.
- Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi, United States Department of Justice, Jackson, Mississippi, January 1990.
- Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi, United States Department of Justice, Jackson, Mississippi, 1987-1989.
- Assistant District Attorney for Seventh Circuit Court District (Hinds and Yazoo Counties), State of Mississippi, 1982-1987.
- Special Assistant Attorney General, Justice Department, State of Mississippi, 1980-1982.
Lectures & Publications:
- Lecturer, Deprivation of Liberty: Search and Seizure, Mississippi Public Defenders Conference, 2009 and 2010.
- Lecturer, Empowering Women for the Profession, Evelyn Gandy Lecture Series, 2010.
- Lecturer, Direct Examination and Cross-Examination, Mississippi Bankruptcy Conference Annual Seminar, 2009.
- Foreword, Introduction to Criminal Law, Nored, 2009.
- Lecturer, Effective Use of Experts, Expert Reports and Documents, Mississippi Bankruptcy Conference Annual Seminar, 2008.
- Mississippi Practice Series , Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law, Chapter 23, Criminal Law (authored with Mary Miller and Donald E. Campbell) 2001.
- After White v. Illinois: Fundamental Guarantees To A Hollow Right To Confront Witnesses, 40 Wayne L. Rev. 159 (1993).
- The Mississippi Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Fifth Circuit Federal Bar Association
- Magnolia Bar Association
- Mississippi Women Lawyers Association
- Metro Jackson Black Women Lawyers Association
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Program Chair, American Inn of Court, Charles Clark Chapter, 2012-2013
- President, Hinds County Bar Association, 2001-2002
- Governor, Fifth Circuit Federal Bar Association, 2001-present
- President, Fifth Circuit Federal Bar Association, 2006-2008
- Trustee, The Mississippi Bar Foundation, 2000-2003, 2012-present
- Fellow, The Mississippi Bar Foundation, 1997-present
- Supreme Court of Mississippi Task Force on Gender Fairness, 1998
- Mississippi Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules, 2000-2008
- The Mississippi Bar Court Liaison and Judicial Administration Committee, 2000-2010
- The Mississippi Bar Resolution of Fee Dispute Committee, 2004-2010
- Board, Leadership Jackson Alumni Association, 2004-2006
- Executive Committee of American Inn of Court, Charles Clark Chapter, 1999 - present
Honors & Awards:
- Recognized as Hinds County Circuit Drug Court Judge in Tenth Year Anniversary Program, 2010.
- Mississippi College School of Law, Faculty Collegial Award, 2010.
- Mississippi College School of Law, BLSA Faculty of the Year Award, 2010.
- Mississippi College, BLSA Outstanding Alumni Award, 2008.
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association, Distinguished Board Service Award, 2004.
- Hinds County Bar Association, Outstanding Service Award, 2002-2003.
- Mississippi Bar Foundation, Appreciation Award for Service as Trustee, 2003.
- The Mississippi Bar, Women in the Profession Committee, Susie Blue Buchanan Lifetime Achievement Award, 2002.
- Mississippi Women Lawyers Association, Outstanding Woman Lawyer of the Year Award, 2002.
- Mississippi College Alumni Association, Lawyer of the Year Award, 2001.
- NAACP, Jack Young Legal Award, 1997.
- Lecturer in Law - Butler, Snow, O'Mara, Stevens & Cannada Lectureship in Law, 1995-1997.
- Mississippi College School of Law, Professionalism in the Field of Law Award, 1990.
- Honored as a Woman of Achievement by Mississippi Women for Progress, 1988.