Areas of Expertise:
- Human Rights
- Philosophy of Law
- Securities Enforcement
John P. Anderson
Assistant Professor of Law
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., May 2003
- University of Virginia, PhD., Philosophy, May 2000
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A., Philosophy, May 1994
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr, LLP, Washington, D.C., Senior Associate, Securities Litigation and Enforcement Practice Group, June 2007 - 2010
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP, Washington, D.C., Associate, Litigation Practice Group, September 2003 - June 2007
- American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C., Adjunct Professor, Fall 2005 - Fall 2007
- University of Virignia, Instructor, Fall 1997 - Spring 2000
- "Greed, Envy, and the Criminalization of Insider Trading," Utah Law Review (forthcoming)
- "The Legitimation of Law Beyond God and Kant: A Neopragmatist Defense of the Liberal Principle of Legitimacy" (in progress)
- "Trading Truth for Legitimacy in the Liberal State: Defending John Rawls's Pragmatism," Studies in Law, Politics and Society (solicited by Austin Sarat for special issue, "Law and the Liberal State," forthcoming)
- Op-Ed, "Let's Be Reasonable About Politics," Clarion Ledger (Nov. 21, 2012)
- "Patriotic Liberalism," 22 Law and Philosophy 547-595 (2003)
- "Achieving Our Country," 13 Arete 147-151 (2001)
- "Sophie's Choice," 35 Southern Journal of Philosophy 439-450 (1997)
- "Greed, Envy, and the Criminalization of Insider Trading," Southeastern Association of Law Schools Annual Meeting, August, 2012.
- "The Legitimation of Law beyond God and Kant: A Neopragmatist Defense of the Liberal Principle of Legitimacy (Part II)," International Conference on Law and Society, June 2012.
- "The Legitimation of Law beyond God and Kant: A Neopragmatist Defense of the Liberal Principle of Legitimacy," Association for the Study of Law, Culture & The Humanities 15th Annual Conference, March 16-17, 2012.
- "Greed, Envy, and the Criminalization if Insider Trading: Is It Moral or Moralistic?" The 18th Annual International Conference Promoting Business Ethics, St John's University, New York, New York, October 26-28, 2011.
- "On the Irrelevance of Truth to Justice: John Rawls's Pragmatism," Association for the Study of Law, Culture & The Humanities 14th Annual Conference, March 11 & 12, 2011.
- "Patriotic Liberalism," at American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division, Berkeley, Ca., April 1999.
- "Sophie's Choice" at University of Richmond, Guest Lecture, April 1998.
- "Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism in Light of Political Liberalism" at Harvard/MIT Graduate Conference in Philosophy, March 1998.
- "The Paradox of Agent-Centered Restrictions" at Virginia Philosophical Association, James Madison University, November 1996.
Panels and Lectures:
- Discussant, "Human Rights as Articles of Faith," Association for the Study of Law, Culture & The Humanities 14th Annual Conference, March 11 & 12, 2011.
- Contracts I and II
- International Human Rights
- Themes in Comparative Constitutional Law
- Law and Morality
Law School and Institutional Service:
- Chair, Faculty Appointments
- Director, Mexico Study-Abroad Program
- Director, Cuba Study-Abroad Program
- Advisor, BLSA
- 1L Professor of the Year, Section X (2010-2011)
- 1L Professor of the Year, Section X (2011-2012)