Areas of Expertise:
- Legal Ethics
- Judicial Politics
- Construction Law
- Land Use
- Local Government
Assistant Professor of Law
- University of Florida, Gainsville, Florida, PhD. Candidate in American Politics/Judicial Policies
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, M.A. (Political Science)
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, Mississippi, J.D., summa cum laude, May 2001
- University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburgh, Mississippi, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude, May 1998
- The Honorable Leslie H. Southwick, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Jackson, MS (2007-2008)
- Assistant Professor of Law, Mississippi College School of Law, 2012 - Present
- Visiting Professor of Law, Mississippi College School of Law, 2008 - 2012
- Heilman, Kennedy, Graham, P.A., Jackson, Mississippi, 2003 - 2006
- Forman Perry Watkins Krutz & Tardy, Jackson, Mississippi, 2002 - 2003
- Ott & Purdy, Jackson, Mississippi, 2001 - 2002
- PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MISSISSIPPI LAWYERS (MLI Press 2010) (with J. Jackson)
- COMMENTARY ON JUDICIAL ETHICS IN MISSISSIPPI (MLI Press 2010) (with J. Jackson)
- Legal Ethics in a Time of Change: An Assessment of the American Bar Association’s Ethics 20/20 Commission, 32 Miss. C.L. Rev. 231 (2013)(Introduction to Symposium volume)
- Partisanship, Politics, and the Voting Rights Act: The Curious Case of U.S. v. Ike Brown, __ Harv. J. of Race and Ethnic Just. 33 (2013)
- Forty (Plus) Years After the Revolution: Observations on the Implied Warranty of Habitability, __ U. Ark. Little Rock L. Rev. ___ (2013)(symposium)(forthcoming)
- The Sky is Falling (Again): Evaluating the Current Funding Crisis in the Judiciary, 47 New England L. Rev. 571 (2013)(symposium)
- To Advice and Consent Delay: The Role of Interest Groups in the Confirmation of Judges to the Federal Courts of Appeal, 8 Nw. J. L. & Soc. Pol’y 1 (2012)
- Raise Your Right Hand and Swear to Be Civil: Defining Civility as an Obligation of Professional Responsibility, 47 Gonz. L. Rev. 99 (Dec. 2011)
- The Ethical Obligations of an Organization’s Lawyer in the Face of Constituent Deviance, Business Law Reporter of the Business Section of the Mississippi Bar, Vol. 1, Issue 2 (Summer 2010)
- Should the Rooster Guard the Henhouse: A Critical Analysis of the Judicial Conduct and Disability Act of 1980, 28 Miss. Coll. L. Rev. 381 (2009).
- Construction Law, 3 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law, (Jeffrey Jackson & Mary Miller, eds., Thompson West 2001).
- Criminal Law, 3 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 507 (with Patricia Bennett and Mary Miller) (Jeffrey Jackson & Mary Miller, eds., Thompson West 2001).
- Partnership, 6 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 255 (with Ronald Morton) (Jeffrey Jackson & Mary Miller, eds., Thompson West 2001).
Works in Progress:
- Judging the Judges: Utilizing Tools of Direct Democracy to Obtain Judicial Accountability.
Honors & Awards:
- First Year Professor of the Year -- § X (shared with Deborah Challener), 2012-2013
- Outstanding Professor of the Year (as voted by student body), 2009 - 2010
- First Year Professor of the Year (as voted by first year students), 2008-2009
Lectures, Panels & Papers Presented:
- Presentation, "Of Practicing Law and Wetlands," at Oil and Gas Section Meeting (February 25, 2014)
- Panelist, "Readdressing the Voting Rights Act: Where is Our Nation After Shelby County v. Holder?" Mississippi College Law Review Symposium at Mississippi College School of Law (Jackson, MS)(March 21, 2014)
- Presentation, "Recent Cases in Judicial Ethics," at the Mississippi Youth Court Judges & Referees Seminar" (September 20, 2013)
- Presentation, "Current Topics in Judicial Ethics," at the Mississippi Appellate Courts CLE (August 8, 2013)
- Moderator & Presenter, 2013 Business Law Ethics CLE Seminar for the Mississippi Bar Business Law Section and the Mississippi Corporate Counsel Association (June 11, 2013)
- Presentation, "Ethics and Technology: How the Rules Have (and Haven't) Dealt with Technological Advances," at Jackson Young Lawyers meeting (May 31, 2013)
- Presentation, "A Discussion of Ethical Dilemmas Faced by Drug Court Judges and Lawyers," at the 9th Annual Drug Court Training Conference (May 24, 2013)
- Moderator, "Ethics 20/20 The Future of Professional Responsibility" Legal Symposium at Mississippi College School of Law (March 1, 2013)
- Panelist, “A Question of Balance: 40 Years of the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act and Tenants’ Rights in Arkansas,” Ben J. Altheimer Symposium at University of Arkansas Law School (Little Rock) (February 1, 2013)
- Panelist, "Crisis in the Judiciary" Symposium, at New England Law (Boston) (November 15, 2012)
- Presentation, "Ethical Considerations in Youth Court," at the Youth Court Prosecutors Conference (November 9, 2012)
- Presentation, "Current Issues in Judicial Ethics," at the Mississippi Conference of Circuit Judges Fall Study Committee Meeting (October 25, 2012)
- Presentation, “The Perfect Storm: Legal Ethics and the Great Recession,” at the Stewart Title Insurance T.I.P.S. Seminar (October 9, 2012)
- Presentation, "Ethical Considerations in Youth Court," at the Mississippi Youth Court Judges & Referees Seminar (September 14, 2012)
- Testimony, “State Legislation Restricting Undocumented Immigrants After Arizona v. United States,” before the Mississippi House Judiciary Committee B (August 23, 2012)
- Presentation, "Current Issues in Judicial Ethics," at the 2012 Miss. College School of Law CLE Marathon (July 20, 2012)
- Presentation, "Ethics of Representing a Governmental Client," at the 2012 State Government Lawyers CLE (June 14, 2012)
- Presentation, "The Judge as Cheerleader? The Lawyer as Parent? Ethical Concerns for Lawyers and Judges in Problem-Solving Courts ," at the Eighth Annual Drug Court Training Conference (May 9, 2012).
- Presentation, "Movin' on Up: Ethical Concerns When Non-Lawyers Change Firms," at the Mississippi Paralegal Association Spring Seminar (April 19, 2012).
- Presentation, "An Examination of Unauthorized Practice of Law in the Oil and Gas Context," at Fourteenth Triennial Mississippi Oil & Gas Law Seminar (April 29, 2011).
- Presentation, "To Recuse or not to Recuse: That is the Question," at the Mississippi Trial & Appellate Judges Spring Conference (April 28, 2011)
- Presentation, "Ethics for Prosecutors," at New District Attorney Spring Conference (February 2, 2011).
- Presentation, "Two Ethical Issues for Judges (and Lawyers): Role Clarification for the Guardian Ad Litem" at Guardian Ad Litem Training (August 13, 2010).
- Panelist, "Judicial Recusal: Why, When and How", Presentation of the Charles Clark Chapter of the American Inns of Court (July 26, 2010).
- Presentation, "Recusal in the Criminal Defense Context", at the Mississippi Public Defender 2010 Spring Conference (April 30, 2010).
- Presentation, "Ethical Issues Raised in Milavetz, Gallop, & Milavetz, P.A. v. United States," at the annual Mississippi Bankruptcy Conference (December 10, 2009).
- Presentation, "Civility as an Obligation of Professional Responsibility" at the Central States Law School Association Conference (October 24, 2009).
- Presentation, "Civility is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself: The Need for a Mythology of Civility" at the Mississippi College School of Law Faculty Forum Series (October 13, 2009).
- Presentation, "Current Topics in Legal Ethics," at the Supreme Court of Mississippi 2009 Continuing Legal Education Seminar for Appellate Court Attorneys (August 28, 2009).
- Presentation, "Judging Judges: Judicial Accountability Through Direct Democracy" at the Mississippi College School of Law Faculty Forum Series (April 9, 2009).
- Moderator, "Are the Rules Enough?: Deterring Judicial Deviance" at the Mississippi College School of Law Symposium: Corporations, Courtrooms, and the Constitution: Shades of Gray in the World of Legal Ethics (Feb. 25, 2009).
Law School and Institutional Service:
- Faculty Advisor, National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition (2013)
- Academic Programs Committee (2012 - present)
- Scholarship Committee (2008 - present)
- Acceptance Day Speaker (2012)
- Presentation, "Bates v. Arizona: Analyzing Lawyer Advertising," at the Law Student for a Day Program sponsored by the R. Jess Brown Chapter of the Black Law Students Association of Mississippi College School of Law (April 1, 2011).
- Presentation, "Professionalism and Ethics," at the Law Student for a Day Program sponsored by the R. Jess Brown Chapter of the Black Law Students Association of Mississippi College School of Law (March 5, 2010).
- Reporter, Mississippi Code of Judicial Conduct Study Committee, 2009
- Member, Committee on Common Interest Communities for the Real Property Section of the Mississippi Bar.
- Mississippi (2001)
- Florida (2007)
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- United States Dictrict Court for the Southern District of Mississippi