Bioethics & Health Law Center
Established in 2009, the Bioethics and Health Law Center of Mississippi College School of Law (MC Law) is committed to connecting students with members of the lay, medical, legal and policy-making communities. Located in downtown Jackson, minutes from Mississippi’s health care corridor, MC Law is uniquely positioned among regional law schools to open the lines of communication necessary to address contemporary healthcare dilemmas ranging from the beginning to the end of life.
The Center, in collaboration with the student-run Health Law Society, hosts local attorneys with thriving practices covering all aspects of health law from fraud & abuse litigation to hospital acquisitions and regulatory compliance. Students can increase their marketability by taking a wide range of courses, and are even able to graduate with a Certificate in Health Law.
Students at MC Law have multiple opportunities to gain hands-on experience. From clinics to externships students are able to hone their skills by working with practicing attorneys.
The MC Law externship program includes a number of health law-related externships, including positions with the:
- Mississippi Board of Nursing
- Mississippi State Medical Licensure Board
- MS Department of Medicaid
- MS Department of Mental Health; http://www.dmh.state.ms.us
- Mississippi Pharmacists Association; www.mspharm.org
- Mississippi State Hospital at Whitfield
- Mississippi State Medical Association; www.msmaonline.com
- US Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Regional Counsel; (background check) www.va.gov
- University Medical Center, Children’s Justice Center
- University Medical Center, Office of General Counsel
Health Law Speaker Series
During the academic year, monthly meetings allow members of the Health Law Society to interact with leading health law practitioners.
March 27, 2013
- Secrets of a Superstar Associate
- Nancy Scott Degan, Chair Elect for ABA Litigation Section,
- La’Verne Edney, Baker Donelson
- David Scott- Mississippi State Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates, Bradley Arant
October 18, 2012
- Jody Donald, Staff Attorney/Risk Management Director, Mississippi State Hospital
March 19, 2012
- Joyce Hall, Watkins & Eager; Dinetia Newman, Bradley Arant; Scott Newton, Baker Donelson;
- Jack Newsome, UMMC; Chad Russell, Southern Farm Bureau
February 15, 2012
- Laura Moore, UMMC
- Curtis Anders, Conner Reeves, Andres Wallace, students
Joseph W. Blackston, MD, JD
Adjunct Professor of Law
Assistant Director, Bioethics & Health Law Center
Each year the Center invites panelists from around the country to participate in a symposium dedicated to issues of both national and regional importance.
- Access to Healthcare: A Medical-Legal Symposium (2015)
- Mental Health in Mississippi
- Implementing Health Care Reform (2013)
- Anesthetic Gas Reclamation – Medical Invention from a Legal Health Care Provider (2012)
- Amendment 26 – Exploring the Implications of Mississippi’s Personhood Initiative (2011)