Areas of Expertise:
- Advanced Torts
- Civil Law Obligations
- Civil Law Successions & Donations
- Civil Law Property
- Products Liability
- Comparative Law
Phillip L. McIntosh
Associate Dean for Civil Law & Foreign Studies
Professor of Law
Dean McIntosh joined the law faculty in 1991 from private practice with Snellings, Breard, Sartor, Inabnett and Trascher, in Monroe, Louisiana, where he was a firm partner specializing in civil litigation. He earned his B.S., magna cum laude, and J.D. (Order of the Coif, Louisiana Law Review) from Louisiana State University and his LL.M. from New York University. Dean McIntosh founded and directs the law school’s Civil Law program and oversees the foreign studies programs, including study abroad programs. He teaches courses in civil and comparative law. He founded the study abroad program in France and teaches in the Transatlantic Summer School, a joint program with the Law Faculty of Université Catholique de Lille. His research interests are civil and comparative law and products liability law. He served the law school as Associate Dean for Academics from 2002-2015.
- Louisiana State University, B.S., Business Administration, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Kappa Phi
- Louisiana State University, J.D., Order of the Coif, Louisiana Law Review
- New York University, LL.M.
- Judge Cecil C. Cutrer, Louisiana Court of Appeal, Third Circuit, Lake Charles, Louisiana, 1979-80
- Mississippi College School of Law
- Professor of Law, 1996-present
- Associate Professor of Law, 1991-1996
- Associate (1981-1985), and partner (1986-1991), Snellings, Breard, Sartor, Inabnett & Trascher, Monroe, Louisiana
- When the Surgeon Has HIV — What to Tell Patients About the Risk of Exposure and the Risk of Transmission, 42 Kan. L. Rev. 315 (1996); Tort Reform in Mississippi: An Appraisal of the New Law of Products Liability, Part I, 16 Miss. C. L. Rev. 393 (1996); Tort Reform in Mississippi: An Appraisal of the New Law of Products Liability, Part II, 17 Miss. C. L. Rev.277 (1997).
- Comparative Fault, 2 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 419 (Jeffrey Jackson, et al.,eds., 2001); Intentional Torts, 5 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 297 (Jeffrey Jackson, et al.,eds., 2001).
- Comparative Fault, 2 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 419 (Jeffrey Jackson, et al.,eds., 2001), updated 2015
Lectures, Panels & Discussions:
- Panelist, Southeastern Association of Law Schools, July 2011. Topic: Recruiting, Training, and Managing Adjunct Professors
- Panelist, Mississippi College Law Review Symposium on Tort Reform in Mississippi, November 2002.
- Panelist, The State We're In (Public Affairs Program on Mississippi Public Television) Judicial Selection, November 2001.
- Panelist, Mississippi College Law Review Symposium on Judicial Selection, November 2001.
- Speaker, Joint Meeting, Mississippi and Louisiana Judicial Colleges New Orleans, Louisiana, August, 1998. Topic: Mississippi Products Liability Act of 1993.
Memberships & Admissions:
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Christian Legal Society
- Capitol Area Bar Association
- Board of Advisors, Federalist Society of Mississippi, 1995-2002
- Board of Directors, Ballet Mississippi, 1995-2000
- Board of Directors, Monroe Symphony Orchestra, Inc., 1987-91
- Member, Ouachita Parish Steering Committee for Buddy Roemer for Governor, 1987
- Delegate, Louisiana State Republican Convention, 1989
- Choir member, Ridgecrest Baptist Church, Madison, Mississippi
- Bible Study Teacher, Ridgecrest Baptist Church, Madison, Mississippi