Areas of Expertise:
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Procedure
- Labor Law
- Employment Discrimination
Judith J. Johnson
Professor of Law
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin with Honors
- J.D., University of Mississippi with Honors
- Judge Charles Clark, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Mississippi College School of Law
- Chair, Mississippi Judicial Advisory Study Committee, Subcommittee on Criminal Code Reform, 1994-present
- Associate, Wells, Gerald, Brand, Waters, & Cox
- Parter, Miller, Milam, Johnson, & Moeller
Journals, Articles, & Notes:
- Reasonable Factors Other Than Age: The Emerging Specter of Ageist
Stereotypes, 33 SEATTLE U. L. REV. 49 (2009).
- Rescue the Americans with Disabilities Act from Restrictive Interpretations: Alcoholism as an Illustration. Northern Illinois University Law Review. Volume 27. Number 2. (2007)
- Rehabilitate the Age Discrimination in Employment Act: Resuscitate the “Reasonable Factors Other than Age” Defense and the Disparate Impact Theory. 55 Hastings Law Review 1399(2004).
- License to Harass Women: Requiring Hostile Environment Sexual Harassment to Be “Severe or Pervasive” Discriminates Among “Terms and Conditions of Employment, 62 U.OF MARYLAND. L. REV. 85 (2003).
- A Uniform Standard for Exemplary Damages in Employment Discrimination Cases, 33 U. OF RICHMOND L. REV. 41 (1999).
- Semantic Cover for Age Discrimination: Twilight of the ADEA, 42 WAYNE STATE L. REV. 1 (1995).
- A Standard for Punitive Damages Under Title VII 46 FLORIDA LAW REVIEW 521 (1995).
- Rebuilding The Barriers: The Trend In Employment Discrimination Class Actions. 19 COLUMBIA HUMAN RIGHTS LAW REVIEW 1 (1988).
- Protected Concerted Activity in the Non-Union Context: Limitations on the Employer's Rights to Discipline or Discharge Employees, 49 MISS. L.J. 839 (1979).
- Contributed to 1983 Supplement Schlei and Grossman's Employment Discrimination Law, to 1983-1985 supplement and to 1989 and 1996 Cumulative Supplements of the same work.
- Comment, The Public Trust Doctrine, 46 MISS. L.J. 84 (1975).
- Note, Equal Pay Act, 44 MISS. 1028 (1973).
- "Love It Or Leave It; An Examination of the Need For A Class Action Rule in Mississippi." Feb. 2005.
Memberships & Admissions:
- Member, American Bar Association, Mississippi Bar, Hinds County Bar Association, Women Lawyer's Association
- Administrative Office of the Courts, Judicial Advisory Study Committee Chair, Subcommittee on Criminal Law Reform 1994-present.
- St. Philip's Episcopal Church Altar Guild
- Fellows of the Mississippi Bar
- Fellows of the Young Lawyers' Section
- Bencher, Charles Clark American Inn of Court
- First Year Professor of the Year 1997; 1999
- Secretary, Mississippi Bar Young Lawyers' Section
- President, Hinds County Bar Association
- President, Jackson Young Lawyers' Association
- Chair, Mississippi Law Institute
- Mississippi Law Journal Editorial Board