Associate Professor of Law
Professor Donald Campbell joined the MC Law faculty in 2008. Professor Campbell’s research agenda focuses on legal ethics and property; however, he has also published articles dealing with such political issues as the Voting Rights Act and confirmation of federal judges. Professor Campbell is currently writing a book on construction law for the West Group’s Nutshell series and serves as an editor of the Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law (along with colleagues Jeffrey Jackson and Mary Miller). Professor Campbell has published several articles, the two most recent include an introductory article to the Mississippi College Law Review symposium on legal ethics, and an article in the Harvard Journal of Race and Ethnic Justice on the Voting Rights Act. Professor Campbell often speaks to lawyers and judges on ethics.
- University of Florida, Gainsville, Florida, PhD. Candidate in American Politics/Judicial Policies
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, M.A. (Political Science)
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, Mississippi, J.D., summa cum laude, May 2001
- University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude, May 1998
- The Honorable Leslie H. Southwick, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Jackson, MS (2007-2008)
- Assistant Professor of Law, Mississippi College School of Law, 2012 - Present
- Visiting Professor of Law, Mississippi College School of Law, 2008 - 2012
- Heilman, Kennedy, Graham, P.A., Jackson, Mississippi, 2003 - 2006
- Forman Perry Watkins Krutz & Tardy, Jackson, Mississippi, 2002 - 2003
- Ott & Purdy, Jackson, Mississippi, 2001 - 2002
- PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MISSISSIPPI LAWYERS (MLI Press 2010) (with J. Jackson)
- COMMENTARY ON JUDICIAL ETHICS IN MISSISSIPPI (MLI Press 2010) (with J. Jackson)
- Legal Ethics in a Time of Change: An Assessment of the American Bar Association’s Ethics 20/20 Commission, 32 Miss. C.L. Rev. 231 (2013)(Introduction to Symposium volume)
- Partisanship, Politics, and the Voting Rights Act: The Curious Case of U.S. v. Ike Brown, 29 Harv. J. of Race and Ethnic Just. 33 (2013)
- Forty (Plus) Years After the Revolution: Observations on the Implied Warranty of Habitability, 35 U. Ark. Little Rock L. Rev. 793 (2013)(symposium)
- The Sky is Falling (Again): Evaluating the Current Funding Crisis in the Judiciary, 47 New England L. Rev. 571 (2013)(symposium)
- To Advice and Consent Delay: The Role of Interest Groups in the Confirmation of Judges to the Federal Courts of Appeal, 8 Nw. J. L. & Soc. Pol’y 1 (2012)
- Raise Your Right Hand and Swear to Be Civil: Defining Civility as an Obligation of Professional Responsibility, 47 Gonz. L. Rev. 99 (Dec. 2011)
- The Ethical Obligations of an Organization’s Lawyer in the Face of Constituent Deviance, Business Law Reporter of the Business Section of the Mississippi Bar, Vol. 1, Issue 2 (Summer 2010)
- Should the Rooster Guard the Henhouse: A Critical Analysis of the Judicial Conduct and Disability Act of 1980, 28 Miss. Coll. L. Rev. 381 (2009).
- Construction Law, 3 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law, (Jeffrey Jackson & Mary Miller, eds., Thompson West 2001).
- Criminal Law, 3 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 507 (with Patricia Bennett and Mary Miller) (Jeffrey Jackson & Mary Miller, eds., Thompson West 2001).
- Partnership, 6 Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law 255 (with Ronald Morton) (Jeffrey Jackson & Mary Miller, eds., Thompson West 2001).
Works in Progress:
- Judging the Judges: Utilizing Tools of Direct Democracy to Obtain Judicial Accountability.
Honors & Awards:
- First Year Professor of the Year -- § X (shared with Deborah Challener), 2012-2013
- Outstanding Professor of the Year (as voted by student body), 2009 - 2010
- First Year Professor of the Year (as voted by first year students), 2008-2009
Lectures, Panels & Papers Presented:
- Presentation, "Landmen and Unauthorized Practice of Law" at the March, 2015 meeting of the Mississippi Association of Petroleum Landmen (March 9, 2015)
- Presentation, “Recent Issues in Judicial Ethics: 2014 Edition,” at Mississippi Trial & Appellate Judges Fall Conference (October 23, 2014)
- Presentation, “I’m the Right Person for the Job – Trust Me”: Consideration of Recent Challenges to the Code of Judicial Conduct at Mississippi Supreme Court Continuing Education for Appellate Court Attorneys (August 15, 2014)
- Presentation, “Ethics Miscellaneous: 10 Random Thoughts” at All Rise! What Judges Want You to Know, 4th Annual Rankin County Bar Association CLE (June 13, 2014)
Presentation, “The Landman Takes the Cheese: The Shifting Sands of the Unauthorized
Practice of Law,” at Fifteenth Triennial Oil & Gas Triennial (May 9, 2014)
- Presentation, "Evaluating Ethical Challenges From the Perspective of an Appellate Lawyer," at Sharpening Your Appellate Litigation Skills (sponsored by the Miss. Bar Appellate Practice Section) (April 25, 2014)
- Presentation, "Of Practicing Law and Wetlands," at Oil and Gas Section Meeting (February 25, 2014)
- Panelist, "Readdressing the Voting Rights Act: Where is Our Nation After Shelby County v. Holder?" Mississippi College Law Review Symposium at Mississippi College School of Law (Jackson, MS)(March 21, 2014)
- Presentation, "Recent Cases in Judicial Ethics," at the Mississippi Youth Court Judges & Referees Seminar" (September 20, 2013)
- Presentation, "Current Topics in Judicial Ethics," at the Mississippi Appellate Courts CLE (August 8, 2013)
- Moderator & Presenter, 2013 Business Law Ethics CLE Seminar for the Mississippi Bar Business Law Section and the Mississippi Corporate Counsel Association (June 11, 2013)
- Presentation, "Ethics and Technology: How the Rules Have (and Haven't) Dealt with Technological Advances," at Jackson Young Lawyers meeting (May 31, 2013)
- Presentation, "A Discussion of Ethical Dilemmas Faced by Drug Court Judges and Lawyers," at the 9th Annual Drug Court Training Conference (May 24, 2013)
- Moderator, "Ethics 20/20 The Future of Professional Responsibility" Legal Symposium at Mississippi College School of Law (March 1, 2013)
- Panelist, “A Question of Balance: 40 Years of the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act and Tenants’ Rights in Arkansas,” Ben J. Altheimer Symposium at University of Arkansas Law School (Little Rock) (February 1, 2013)
- Panelist, "Crisis in the Judiciary" Symposium, at New England Law (Boston) (November 15, 2012)
- Presentation, "Ethical Considerations in Youth Court," at the Youth Court Prosecutors Conference (November 9, 2012)
- Presentation, "Current Issues in Judicial Ethics," at the Mississippi Conference of Circuit Judges Fall Study Committee Meeting (October 25, 2012)
- Presentation, “The Perfect Storm: Legal Ethics and the Great Recession,” at the Stewart Title Insurance T.I.P.S. Seminar (October 9, 2012)
- Presentation, "Ethical Considerations in Youth Court," at the Mississippi Youth Court Judges & Referees Seminar (September 14, 2012)
- Testimony, “State Legislation Restricting Undocumented Immigrants After Arizona v. United States,” before the Mississippi House Judiciary Committee B (August 23, 2012)
- Presentation, "Current Issues in Judicial Ethics," at the 2012 Miss. College School of Law CLE Marathon (July 20, 2012)
- Presentation, "Ethics of Representing a Governmental Client," at the 2012 State Government Lawyers CLE (June 14, 2012)
- Presentation, "The Judge as Cheerleader? The Lawyer as Parent? Ethical Concerns for Lawyers and Judges in Problem-Solving Courts ," at the Eighth Annual Drug Court Training Conference (May 9, 2012).
- Presentation, "Movin' on Up: Ethical Concerns When Non-Lawyers Change Firms," at the Mississippi Paralegal Association Spring Seminar (April 19, 2012).
- Presentation, "An Examination of Unauthorized Practice of Law in the Oil and Gas Context," at Fourteenth Triennial Mississippi Oil & Gas Law Seminar (April 29, 2011).
- Presentation, "To Recuse or not to Recuse: That is the Question," at the Mississippi Trial & Appellate Judges Spring Conference (April 28, 2011)
- Presentation, "Ethics for Prosecutors," at New District Attorney Spring Conference (February 2, 2011).
- Presentation, "Two Ethical Issues for Judges (and Lawyers): Role Clarification for the Guardian Ad Litem" at Guardian Ad Litem Training (August 13, 2010).
- Panelist, "Judicial Recusal: Why, When and How", Presentation of the Charles Clark Chapter of the American Inns of Court (July 26, 2010).
- Presentation, "Recusal in the Criminal Defense Context", at the Mississippi Public Defender 2010 Spring Conference (April 30, 2010).
- Presentation, "Ethical Issues Raised in Milavetz, Gallop, & Milavetz, P.A. v. United States," at the annual Mississippi Bankruptcy Conference (December 10, 2009).
- Presentation, "Civility as an Obligation of Professional Responsibility" at the Central States Law School Association Conference (October 24, 2009).
- Presentation, "Civility is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself: The Need for a Mythology of Civility" at the Mississippi College School of Law Faculty Forum Series (October 13, 2009).
- Presentation, "Current Topics in Legal Ethics," at the Supreme Court of Mississippi 2009 Continuing Legal Education Seminar for Appellate Court Attorneys (August 28, 2009).
- Presentation, "Judging Judges: Judicial Accountability Through Direct Democracy" at the Mississippi College School of Law Faculty Forum Series (April 9, 2009).
- Moderator, "Are the Rules Enough?: Deterring Judicial Deviance" at the Mississippi College School of Law Symposium: Corporations, Courtrooms, and the Constitution: Shades of Gray in the World of Legal Ethics (Feb. 25, 2009).
Law School and Institutional Service:
- Faculty Advisor, National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition (2013)
- Academic Programs Committee (2012 - present)
- Scholarship Committee (2008 - present)
- Acceptance Day Speaker (2012)
- Presentation, "Bates v. Arizona: Analyzing Lawyer Advertising," at the Law Student for a Day Program sponsored by the R. Jess Brown Chapter of the Black Law Students Association of Mississippi College School of Law (April 1, 2011).
- Presentation, "Professionalism and Ethics," at the Law Student for a Day Program sponsored by the R. Jess Brown Chapter of the Black Law Students Association of Mississippi College School of Law (March 5, 2010).
- Reporter, Mississippi Code of Judicial Conduct Study Committee, 2009
- Member, Committee on Common Interest Communities for the Real Property Section of the Mississippi Bar.
- Mississippi (2001)
- Florida (2007)
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- United States Dictrict Court for the Southern District of Mississippi